Most Compact Irons for Your Travel Needs
Regardless wherever you are now and then, either on a business trip or camping, your clothing should look refreshed and smooth. As far as you can regulate the first by doing laundry, it can be quite challenging to guarantee the second, particularly when traveling. To solve the problem of crumpled clothes, you should start from the very beginning, literally, from packing. There is a number of useful tips for wrinkle-free packing that provide more or less smooth clothes even after you arrive at your point of destination. Here are some proven packing tips below that stood the test of time and transportation:
Table of Contents:
- 4 Smart Tips How to Pack Clothes Without Wrinkles
- 9 Most Compact Irons – Perfect for Traveling Purpose
- Organize Your Ironing Zone – Portable Ironing Mats and Boards
- The folding folder – the best choice ever when it concerns successful folding with no wrinkles. The clothes come out with almost no signs of the previous packing. But one folder works for only one piece of clothes. Speaking about backpack tours, this option is not at all rational, unless you take a limited amount of folded outfits for specific occasions.
- Plastic – it is proved to be a universal thing with packing clothes being no exception. Plastic prevents packed outfits from turning into a rumpled mess. Take a plastic film and fold every piece of clothes laying it between any crease. Alongside providing a waterproof protection, plastic also decreases friction, thus eliminates possible effect of transportation. But what should eco-minded less-plastic-use people do?
- A tissue paper – this can be an answer to the previous question. The tissue paper works nearly as good as plastic. Again, before folding a sweater or any piece of clothes you want to stay smooth, use a tissue paper between every crease. It gives your item a brand new look (just visually) and it lessens friction between layers of fabrics.
- Rolling – you must have heard that rolling is a great way for packing things to make them compact. But it is not actually a good one for keeping them unwrinkled. Though in most cases the crease marks are less sharp compared to folded items, they are numerous. Thus, rolling is the least effective tip how to pack clothes to avoid wrinkles.
All the above-mentioned tips are helpful, however, the clothes you get after packing that way do not look iron-pressed. If you want to get the perfectly polished look for a stunning effect, you should grab a travel iron with you. We have studied the existing travel irons on the market and picked out the smallest and lightest of them. But there is no a single iron (except ancient ones) that would work without electricity. As a result, these camp irons are good only if you travel buy car and have a specific car adapter to make the appliance work. Iron wattage should also be taken into account, the higher it is, the more energy it sucks. Though, on the other hand, the more powerful the iron is, the better it irons. But it's up to you and your needs which iron to decide on:
When every inch in a backpack or a car trunk matters, the smaller device you take the better. Even camping sometimes is associated with looking good, since there can be cases when you want your clothes to be unwrinkled. Regardless how hard you try to neatly pack your outfits, they will have crease marks, but once you have the Dritz iron, you should not worry about that. This tiny iron was created for crafting though some travelers believe it is a great on-the-go ironing appliance. The main benefits are as follows – it is small, compact, easy to use and it irons!
- Pros: ergonomic design, convenient to hold, extremely lightweight, small and portable.
- Cons: good for wrinkles but not for too many of them, not too hot even when on max.
- Item weight: 11.2 oz (320 g)
- Item dimensions: 6.4″ x 3.1″ x 13.2″ (16 x 8 x 33.5 cm)
- Price: $34.39
“I just need an iron but a small one!” – if this is what you think about ironing whilst camping and you are not about to go around in a crumpled T-shirt, then you will be happy to know about this mini iron steam. It looks like a conventional iron, the one you may have at home, but it can be easily settled on your palm – an absolutely perfect size of an iron for traveling. Well, do not show your daughter this appliance or she may think this is a doll's iron, so cute and tiny it is, haha. Enjoy your trip and smooth clothes!
- Pros: very small, easy to pack, compact, portable and lightweight, convenient to carry, well working, has a steamer.
- Cons: some complaints about not enough heat.
- Wattage: 420 W
- Item weight: 14.9 oz (420 g)
- Item dimensions: 5.4″ x 3.7″ x 3.6″ (14 x 9.5 x 9 cm)
- Price: $17.99
This is one of the smallest irons ever created for ironing collars but loved by travelers and camper. The most difficult between-the-buttons areas and pants creases are no more a problem at all. If you have been fighting with pesky collars or crumpled folds on gowns whilst traveling, you will love this tiny iron. No ironing board is needed and not much space in your backpack is required. Being so small, the Collar Perfect has 6 heat settings depending on the fabric type. A rotating power cord makes this iron an easy-to-use device.
- Pros: small and lightweight, excellent for traveling, easy to use, affordable, 6 heat settings, rotating power cord, 110v and 220v electrical support.
- Cons: a little hard to hold.
- Wattage: 1000 W
- Item weight: 1 lb (450 g)
- Item dimensions: 5″ x 3.5″ x 1.5″ (13 x 9 x 4 cm)
- Price: $34.95
It is hard to imagine a small iron that could work as good as a normal-size device, isn't it? But some owners of the Small Mini Iron claim it can be true. With a non-stick ceramic soleplate, a long convenient cord and a small size, this iron can literally win the status of “The best portable iron for travel”. Even if you are not fond of ironing, you will find it less tiresome with this small device. It is easy to carry on a trip, to adjust to voltage options, to fill in with water and so pleasant to do the ironing.
- Pros: voltage adjustment options, long cord, convenient handle, heats up quickly, lightweight, non-stick surface, no dripping and leakage.
- Cons: works poorly on jeans.
- Item weight: 1.1 lbs (490 g)
- Item dimensions: 5.3″ x 3.1″ x 2.9″ (13.5 x 8 x 7 cm)
- Price: $29.99
If you love classic items while weird devices like the Collar Perfect make you puzzled, but you still strive for a small-sized iron, then pay attention to MUJI iron. This little guy can save an important meeting once you are on a business trip. It heats up quickly and easily copes with wrinkles on fabric. Due to a foldable handle, the size of MUJI is perfect for backpack tours not to speak of any other trip.
- Pros: compact, lightweight, heats up quickly, stainless sole plate, durable, great constructions, excellent for traveling, easy to use.
- Cons: expensive.
- Item weight: 1.1 lbs (490 g)
- Item dimensions: 6.7″ x 5.3″ x 2″ (17 x 13.5 x 5 cm)
- Price: $63.90
A steamer is a nice alternative to iron; a compact steamer makes a great option to a travel iron as well. It is small, can be easily grabbed on a trip and it works smoothly. Actually, this is your clothes that come out smooth from under the steamer. No more annoying wrinkles and hard-work on big conventional irons. The steamer heats up quickly and one filling is enough for up to 4 shirts! This is a great device for travel but probably not as large to be used regularly.
- Pros: great for travel, heats up fast, stems excellent, easy to use, very small.
- Cons: do not tilt more than 45 degrees.
- Wattage: 1000 W
- Item weight: 1.2 lbs (545 g)
- Item dimensions: 3.7″ x 8.8″ x 6.2″ (9 x 22 x 16 cm)
- Price: $22.99
If the idea of steaming outfits rather than ironing them is close to you but you find most of the steamers tricky to use, then get ready to be stunned by the BIZOND steamer. It works at all angles, literally! You can even make a flip-flop while steaming and you will not have a single drop. If that sounds like a miracle, you can double it by adding 25 seconds heat-up time and a very long cord. With that, it is small and portable, just perfect for travel purpose. Forget about camp ironing, enjoy camp steaming instead!
- Pros: compact and portable, no leakage, works vertically and horizontally, 25 sec. steam ready time.
- Cons: not much force behind the steam
- Wattage: 900 W
- Item weight: 1.3 lbs (590 g)
- Item dimensions: 3.5″ x 2.5″ x 7.5″ (9 x 6.5 x 19 cm)
- Price: $39.90
Do you want to look shiny and crisp during your trip? This 2-in-1 set will turn you into a dandy by serving your needs. We doubt you will want to fight with lint whilst camping but you may want to have your clothes smooth when unpacked. If so, you can take this small though powerful steam iron with you and always count on it to save your look. The construction is durable to easily bear transportation. Enjoy your travel and unwrinkled clothing!
- Pros: sturdy construction, nice design, 2-in-1 set, non-stick sole, foldable, steamer.
- Cons: leaks.
- Wattage: 850 W
- Item weight: 1.6 lbs (725 g)
- Item dimensions: 7.3″ x 6.8″ x 5.2″ (18.5 x 17 x 13 cm)
- Price: from $11.19
The last in the category of travel irons as the heaviest (2.3 lbs) and most powerful is the Hamilton Beach Iron. Inside a small body, 800-watt power is hidden. Moreover, it has a steamer which turns 9 ml of water into wet steam every minute. A fold-down handle is specifically designed for easy packing and comfortable transportation. Among other benefits, there is a dual voltage option for overseas trips.
- Pros: foldable handle, powerful, has a steamer, 1 minute heat-up time, double voltage, non-stick soleplate, small and compact.
- Cons: leaks.
- Wattage: 800 W
- Item weight: 2.1 lbs (950 g)
- Item dimensions: 4.5″ x 5.5″ x 7.3″ (11.5 x 14 x 18.5 cm)
- Price: $17.95
Having a good iron is a halfway to successful ironing but having an ironing board or mat will do work great! After you've tried all the tricks of how to de-wrinkle your clothing without an iron during your travel and failed, opt for a small iron and a handy ironing mat/board to be sure your look is saved in any situation.
This pad is so good that it is a great choice not only for traveling purpose but for having it at hand as an alternative to a bulky ironing board. It is very compact when rolled down and quite large when open. Plus, it does have a non-slip back, which keeps the mat from moving over the surface. It also protects the surface from heat and steam. If you still use a towel as an ironing cover, you will find this ironing accessory life-saving (read it as nerve-saving).
- Pros: compact, great to use, convenient, portable, takes little space, protects the surface, non-slip back, non-stick surface.
- Cons: may bunch up a bit.
- Item weight: 15.2 oz (430 g)
- Item dimensions: 10.8″ x 9.8″ x 2″ (27.5 x 25 x 5 cm)
- Price: $16.99
A little bit of comfort is always pleasant even when camp ironing is concerned. If you take a portable iron to a trip and you still have a little bit of space in your suitcase, fill it in with an ironing mat. By doing that, you will always be sure all the surfaces in your hotel room are protected and there is an additional motivation to do fast and easy ironing. This ironing mat has a non-slip iron holder on the right and provides a larger flat area for ironing compared to narrow ironing boards.
- Pros: non-slip back, non-stick surface, large ironing area, silicone non-stick iron holder, compact and portable, great for traveling.
- Cons: uneven on the counter surface and does not flatten even after several uses.
- Item weight: 4.8 oz (136 g)
- Item dimensions: 12.5″ x 7.2″ x 2.2″ (32 x 18 x 6 cm)
- Price: $19.97
It is hard to imagine a large and heavy ironing board be small and lightweight unless this is Camco Foldable Board. Of course, it is not a tiny accessory to be taken in a backpack travel, but it is a wonderful idea for having one in a moving house or even at home if you do little ironing and have scarce space. When unfolded, it looks like a smaller copy of a full-size ironing board: with legs, a rounded end, an iron holder and a fabric cover. This board can be a nice option for ironing in a camper.
- Pros: space-saving, easy to fold and unfold, lightweight, great for light ironing, takes little space.
- Cons: joints may break after numerous folding.
- Item weight: 14.1 oz (400 g)
- Item dimensions: 16″ x 12″ x 2″ (40.5 x 30 x cm)
- Price: $21.19
Do you love classic devices? If this is an ironing area, it should be an old-school ironing board, probably a smaller one taking into account it is a travel option. There is a chance you like the Collapsible Tabletop Ironing Board. Because it looks like a conventional ironing board but takes less space and is a must-have for small apartments or RV traveling. The side rack for holding an iron is convenient while the whole ironing board does the trick!
- Pros: easy to fold and unfold, sturdy and reliable, wonderful for quick touch-ups, takes little space, quality material, well-made, inexpensive.
- Cons: the cover is very thin, too heavy for traveling.
- Item weight: 4.8 lbs (2.17 kg)
- Item dimensions: 32″ x 12″ x 5″ (81 x 30 x 13cm)
- Price: $9.68
Traveling is full of changes and challenges, sometimes uneasy but quite exciting activity. Even a small thing can add to its positive experience and improve the situation. When a smooth look is concerned, let it be your compact travel iron and ironing mat that save the situation and some wrinkle-free packing tips to simplify your travel ironing routine. Have an easy ironing and a trouble-free trip!