10 of the Best Camp Toasters for Your Trip
It is a usual practice for a typical family to own essential kitchen appliance which usually includes a toaster. The reason is simple — toasts are fast-to-cook and tasty options for either breakfasts or midday snacks. After a couple of brown-gold toasts, it becomes a habit to savor that crispy piece of bread with a cup of coffee. The habit no one would like to quit even on camping. Would you?
Table of Contents:
The truth is there's no need to give up the meals you like especially when you spend your free time the way you like. You can find a range of camp toasters that can do a great job roasting your bread over the fire. Indeed, camping presupposes limited or no energy which is not a problem when there is a possibility to set a campfire or a camping stove. With the warmth of the fire, the sound of logs burning, and fiery sparks flying you will surely have a gargantuan appetite. So it's time to decide how many pieces of toast you can eat.
You can never have too many pieces of toast, can you? Ideally roasted with brown golden crust on both sides and soft in the middle, they are excellent snacks any time of the day. But when camping is concerned, it is always good to have compact and portable gadgets without extra options. As for toasters, they can be of different types depending on the number of slices. You just have to choose the one to satisfy your needs.
When you are a solo camper, you do not need to spend all morning long on browning tons of pieces of bread. Moreover, it is convenient to have a camping toaster to suit your demands, that is a compact lightweight toaster for only 1 slice of bread. Primus Toaster is the one to meet those needs. It roasts quickly thus you need to watch the bread constantly to prevent burning. Once you get a perfect golden brown crispy toast, you will never want to turn to an electric toaster. Primus Toaster is to be used via direct exposure to a fire.
- Pros: small, foldable, lightweight, roasts fast, convenient design, mesh net distributes the heat evenly.
- Cons: a bit flimsy construction, no English instructions (Japanese only), crumbs are not easy to clean from the screen, expensive.
- Item weight: 9 ounces (255 grams)
- Item dimensions: 5.5 x 6.6 x 0.6 inches when collapsed (14 x 16.7 x 1.5 cm)
- Price: $51.00
Do you like exquisite gadgets with an innovative design? If so, this camp toaster will do the trick. It looks like a UFO object, a pyramid, a toy metal space shuttle or anything except for a traditional toaster you are used to seeing. It indeed rocks! It is adjustable to different slice thickness and is good for making a sandwich. When not in use, Delfa Toaster turns into a compact metal plate that is perfect for a small kitchen, tuck or a backpack walking trip.
- Pros: adjustable to the slice thickness, reliable, rustless, very compact, easy to assemble and reassemble, made of stainless steel.
- Cons: takes some time to set up.
- Item weight: 1.1 pounds (500 grams)
- Item dimensions: 6.1 x 1.7 x 5.4 inches when collapsed (15.5 x 43 x 14 cm)
- Price: $49.40
There are very few things that taste as good as a cup of morning coffee with a toast. Add to that a good friend of yours and the day promises to be wonderful. Camp-A-Toaster is a perfect camping toaster for two. It makes a pair of slices at a time providing them with beautiful dark lines along the slice. It allows a camper to watch the bread while toasting for color control. It is good for any trip, either in an RV or during the walking tour.
- Pros: compact, durable, lightweight, easy-to-use, distributes the heat evenly, makes beautiful striped toasts.
- Cons: not so easy-to-clean, toasts extremely quickly.
- Item weight: 8.5 ounces (225 grams)
- Item dimensions: 9.1 x 5.2 x 2 inches (23 x 13 x 5 cm)
- Price: $14.33
Just another 2-piece camping toaster option but which is more versatile to be used as a stove. In terms of portability, this is a perfect choice. You can fold it flat, then unfold into a grill, a roaster or toaster depending on your food preferences. Made of stainless steel, it is going to last for years. You should have any ignition source to make it work, from a campfire to a torch. Fans of outdoor recreation love it for its small size and functionality.
- Pros: foldable and thing, made of stainless steel, easy-to-assemble, low-weight, distributes the heat evenly, makes beautiful waffle-like toasts, multi cookware.
- Cons: toasts very quickly.
- Item weight: 10.2 ounces (290 grams)
- Item dimensions: 8.2 x 5.5 x 0.7 inches (20 x 13 x 2 cm)
- Price: $29.00
It's so exciting to jump into a van and drive far away from a noisy city to a calm place to enjoy every minute of rest and relaxation and ... savor crunchy toasts at the campfire. To make that happened, you need to take a camp toaster with you. Let it be a Genuine Pyramid Toaster. It cooks two slices at a time, slower than the majority of camp toasters, which is rather a benefit than a drawback. Due to a tin shield construction, heat is spread evenly and does not burn the bread. It is small but the tin does not fold flat, that is why it is not convenient for backpacks and walking trips.
- Pros: small, sturdy and solid construction, convenient to use, does not burn the slices quickly, extremely lightweight.
- Cons: a pyramid does not fold, very expensive.
- Item weight: 6.4 ounces (170 grams)
- Item dimensions: 6.5 x 3.2 x 5 inches (15 x 7.5 x 13 cm)
- Price: $74.99
For a family trip, a 4-slice camp toaster is a must have. It browns the bread in no time so that you can enjoy your classic breakfast when it is still hot. This toaster does not take much room when it is folded, thus it is good for walking tours when backpack weight matters. You can use the toaster either over the stove flame or the open fire, in both cases, it works perfectly. Once placed on the table, it looks exactly like a toaster holder. As you see, this little gadget really rocks!
- Pros: takes little room, made of metal, easy-to-assemble, lightweight, sturdy construction, can be used for serving toasts or as a dinner plate, inexpensive.
- Cons: can get rust over time.
- Item weight: 9.6 ounces (255 grams)
- Item dimensions: 9 x 9 x 0.6 inches (23 x 23 x 1.7 cm)
- Price: $6.25
Sandwiches are very popular meals. They are nutritious, sappy and delicious. They can be sweet, vegan or stuffed with bacon. For sandwich foodies, there are some gadgets to cook a double-sliced butty over a campfire.
In order to have appetizing sandwiches while on camping, you should get the gadget in advance. It should be durable for a prolonged life but lightweight to be good for carrying. ICO Toaster is quite suitable and meets the demands. The aluminum body has low weight but at the same time, it is solid enough to stand high temperature of an open flame. It can also be used with a butane stove.
- Pros: good for travel, small size, easy to cook and clean, durable, made of aluminum.
- Cons: short handles are not convenient for a campfire.
- Item weight: 1.1 pound (500 grams)
- Item dimensions: 14.2 x 6.3 x 1.6 inches (36 x 16 x 4 cm)
- Price: $6.25
You will not regret buying this gadget. It has the right size of the handles for outdoor fires but probably too long for taking it on a walking trip with a backpack. It is solid and has a long lifespan. It cooks fast and delicious sandwiches but you should trim the bread a bit to fit the iron or buy specific slices so that they fit between the halves. The last advice, grease pieces of bread before roasting, otherwise they may stick to the iron.
- Pros: good for camper travels, long handles, solid, cast iron design, perfect for campfires and firepits.
- Cons: toasts need to be greased to prevent sticking, too heavy.
- Item weight: 3 pounds (1.350 kg)
- Item dimensions: 28 x 4.5 x 2 inches (71 x 11.5 x 10 cm)
- Price: $18.59
It is always thoughtful to have a backup in case you run out of a certain source of energy. Pretend, you can't set a fire for some reason or you initially decide to use flameless options for cooking during camping. Speaking of camp toasters, there are two alternatives to open flame gadgets.
Yes, this is a stove that can be used for cooking different sort of meals including the toast. And yes, it is absolutely amazing! This is a tube that accumulates solar energy in the most efficient way to perform at 200°F – 500°F (93°C – 288°C). If you are looking for a new cooking experience, it can be fun to try. The only inconvenience is that the slices of bread should be thin and long to fit the tube, thus they should be cut and trimmed before roasting.
- Pros: no electricity and flame needed, thoughtful design, working temperature reaches up to 500°F (288°C), perfect for eco minded campers, safe, cooks even in cold seasons.
- Cons: too bulky and heavy for walking trips, performance depends on the weather.
- Item weight: 10.2 pounds (4.6 kg)
- Item dimensions: 3 x 14 x 24 inches (7.5 x 35.5 x 61 cm)
- Price: $298.99
The sun is a free and safe source of energy, so why not to use it for cooking the toast? The only thing you will need except bread slices is the right solar powered toaster. Thermatoast is about to help you during camping. No cords and no flames are needed. It is powered by batteries rechargeable via the solar panel. It can work as a camp toaster as well as a house appliance that sucks zero energy. The only demand is that a sunny weather is required.
Remark: we strongly doubt such a small piece of solar panel abilities to collect enough energy for a toaster even within a week. Also, the price seems too low for a combination of a toaster, a solar panel and the required battery. So before buying, we highly recommend you to read the customer reviews about this product.
- Pros: no electricity and flame needed, compact design, works from batteries, use solar energy to recharge batteries, perfect for eco minded campers, safe, cooks even in cold seasons, 3-day battery life.
- Cons: performance depends on the weather.
- Price: $79.99
It looks like a typical toaster but it is only 700 watt. You will need a car power inverter to use it that is why the heating power matters. The reason is that any appliance sucks energy from a car battery, which is normally of the 720-watt capacity. Every slice of toast will take approximately 20 watts per cooking, it means you have several heating sessions to safely cook crispy snacks but then a car battery should be recharged. With that, you will find Kaloric toaster pretty good, it browns the bread without burning it.
- Pros: does not require fire for cooking, remains cool when it's toasting, nice size, has several settings.
- Cons: can't be taken in walking tours because of a plug, too bulky for a backpack in trips.
- Item weight: 2.2 pounds (1 kg)
- Item dimensions: 10 x 6 x 6.8 inches (25.5 x 15 x 17 cm)
- Price: $39.99
Once you make sure you have a suitable camping toaster, it's time to find out some secrets on how to cook a delicious toast outdoors. Some associate the ideal toast with the one cooked on a frying pan, others believe that tasty slices come out only from the toasters of a specific brand but experts name five top secrets that guarantee you get the first-rate toast wherever you cook it.
- Thickness matters – You should take a slice that is neither too thin to burn nor too thick to be cooked evenly. It is recommended to initially buy the bread for the toast or buy the loaf you like and cut ½- to ¾-inch slices.
- Fresh bread only – The bread that was stored in the fridge is not good for toasting for the risk of a soggy middle. You would not like to sacrifice the crispiness, would you? So even when you go camping, take only fresh bread with you.
- Mind the color – The color of a toast is crucial. It should be even and golden-brown with no dark or pale spots. Experts believe that a perfect toast requires exactly 216 seconds of cooking. But we would add that it depends on a camp toaster construction and flame intensity.
- Butter up – Buttering is quite tricky because on the one hand, it may turn a toast into a soggy piece of bread but on the other, this is exactly the butter that makes it delicious. To keep the crispiness preserve, apply the butter 17 seconds after toasting.
- Tasty toppings – Once you have a camping toaster on your backpack trip, your favorite topping is a must-have. It won't take much room and weight but once on top of a toast, it will revive your spirits after a tiresome walking.
When traveling, you may expect the unexpected and discover what you haven't seen before, but certain things should remain changeless – your tasty crunchy toast and hot aroma drink.